Countdown to Freshers 2019
Congratulations if you successfully gained a place at Loughborough University!
You're one step closer to an amazing next few years, which we hope you've chosen to spend in Rigg-Rut.
This page includes all of the information you should need to know in the run up to Freshers 2019. If you still have any other questions then don't hesistate to message us on our facebook page, w
The 2019 freshers theme is currently top secret, but will be revealed to you shortly before you arrive here on campus.
For now, take a look at last years freshers theme... Rigg Rut Varsity!
Rigg Rut Varsity proved to be one of the most action-packed freshers we've experienced as a hall. You can expect your freshers to follow in its footsteps in similarly successful fashion.
Much like the freshers theme, the 2019 freshers timetable is currently a secret. Watch this space as it will be posted as your fresher theme is announced!
Below was the 2018 Rigg-Rut Varsity timetable, which provides an example of all the amazing activities on offer here at Rigg-Rut. However, rest assured that there will be plenty of surprises in store for freshers 2019.
What to bring to freshers
Along with the essentials (clothes, toiletries, washing basket, any technology, etc) there are a few extra items we'd recommend bringing to make sure that your freshers fortnight is one to remember.
- Lots of fancy dress – Every night in Freshers is fancy dressed themed, ranging from festival party to pride. REMEMBER: the bolder the outfit, the bigger the impression you will make!
- Suit/Formal dress - During your freshers week you'll all hopefully be attending the fantastic freshers ball. The dress code for this, as you'd expect for a ball, is formal - so don't forget your suit/dresses.
- Party games - Games to play during the day or night are always a winner for flat bonding.
What happens during freshers?
Move In Day
Rigg-Rut's Move In Day for 2018 was Wednesday 26th September and in 2019 it will be around a similar time (the exact date will be posted here as soon as its finalised).
You must book a dedicated move in slot through the accommodation website, this is to prevent all freshers arriving at once, causing logistical problems for the university.
When you arrive on the day we will have a team of eager Fresher Helpers, on hand to help you get your ID card, key and move you into your flat. Once you’re all settled in you can come down to the Granby, our common room in the centre of halls, to find out more about hall life and what’s happening during freshers from our committee.
Freshers 2018 ran from Wednesday 26th September to Sunday 7th October, the dates for your 2019 freshers fortnight will be confirmed closer to the time. There will be something planned every night with a couple of day trips as well so you will be able to get to know your flatmates and other people in the hall.
The timetable for LSU events should be released towards the start of September (date to be confirmed).
Some other highlights during freshers are:
- The Sing Off - An exciting and passionate chant off between halls on the first Sunday.
- Freshers Ball - A ball at the Union held at the end of Freshers with famous performers, rides, stalls and a lot more.
- LSU Day Events - Many fun events including Raveminton, Roller-Disco, UV Volleyball and more.
Take a look at our Move In Day Video from 2018 to see what's in store when you arrive!
Fresher Subs Breakdown
Freshers subs for 1st year students living in Rigg-Rut from 2018-19 was £130.
This price included all events over freshers fortnight and will also help to subsidise hall events throughout the entire year. This is a compulsory payment if you want to be involved in any aspect of hall life. We will post a breakdown infographic closer to the start of freshers 2019, detailing where your money is spent.
What to pay in Freshers
These are compulsory – Fees that pay for events throughout the year including Summer Ball, sports events and trips off-campus.
Note: Prices are currently being decided by the hall treasurer, we will publish them as soon as possible.
There are 3 Types:
- Freshers Subs £? – This fee is for 1st Years living in Rigg Rut in 2019-20 and gives you access to all the priviliges of the Returners Subs but also includes your Freshers Week Ticket! This pays for your all events during within freshers week. You need this to get involved with the activities going on in Hall during the two weeks of freshers such as entries and travel to clubs, day trips away, punch parties and more. You’ll get a wristband, a freshers pack and a T-shirt upon arrival - which lets us know you’ve bought it!
- Returners Subs £? - Hall fees which all 2nd, 3rd, 4th years living in halls need to pay. These are paid at the beginning of the year to subsidise all hall activities throughout the whole year (e.g socials and inter hall sport matches/training), maintenance of the common room and a whole lot more. You need to pay these when you move into hall other wise you won’t be able to do anything within Hall, as you won't be registered as a Hall member. So don't worry, returners and committee pay subs too.
- Affiliate subs £? - For students that live in town but still want to be part of the Rigg-Rut family. It is only £10.50 and includes a free 'Rigg-Rut in Town' top. If you are living in town for the year but still wish to be part of the hall and get involved in activities such as IMS then you will need to pay for this.
Also compulsory – Acts as your room deposit and is a refundable payment (as long as you leave your flat and room in a good condition when you leave halls) that you have to pay before you arrive.
Recommended – A payment made to LSU giving you free entry to all Union Night Events (every Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday) and special drinks deals in the bars on-campus. The cost is £149 for Platinum and full details can be found on the LSU Website. Despite not being compulsory, we highly recommend hall members purchase a platinum pass. It will provide a large saving across the year, even if you only plan on going out once or twice a week.
There are two gyms on-campus here in Loughborough, Powerbase and Holywell.
- Powerbase - Powerbase is our Elite Performance Suite, all Loughborough students and staff members are welcome to purchase membership, however the majority of the equipment based in this facility is specifically designed for performance training. Find out more here.
- Holywell - Holywell Fitness Centre is designed to cater for all fitness levels. With daily group fitness classes, over 75 pieces of the latest cardio equipment, an extensive free weights area and much more, there’s something for everyone! Find out more here.